The following describes our process for sanding a wood deck. We include operation of a clarke orbital floor sander as well as a 5 inch makita random orbital sander for detail work.
We’ve created a material list, a step by step guide and a quiz to test your knowledge.
Many of these tools can be purchased from your local hardware store. We’ve included links to our Amazon store, which helps support our how-to program.
- Makita random orbital sander
- 100 grit sandpaper
- Clarke orbital floor sander
- 60-100 grit sandpaper
- Leaf blower
Please refer to service standards post for instructions on how to communicate with a client and organize for a job.
- Refer to work order for details on what surfaces need sanding but make sure to always sand the horizontal top handrail. Wear a respirator and use a Makita random orbital sander with 100 grit hook and loop sandpaper.
- After pressure washing was completed, the customer has an option to select floor sanding. If customer selected floor sanding, use the clarke orbital floor sander with a red pad and 60-100 grit sandpaper. Its important to sand with the grain of the wood.
- Customers final option is to select interior railing sanding. For this we would use the Makita random orbital sander.
- After all surfaces have been sanded, blow off deck surfaces using a leaf blower.